And so the shift to full-time writing begins…

GoodBye

Today’s my final day at IBM, my “day job” for the past twelve years. I’m actually quite grateful to them. They’ve been a good company to work for these past dozen years. Generally stable. Good benefits. Good team to work with and for. And I’ve found them to be quite welcoming in terms of diversity. The teams I’ve worked on have generally had a good balance of women and POC. (Being completely honest, they have skewed toward white males, but the industry as a whole skews toward white males, and I’ve found their corporate communications to be refreshingly welcoming toward female workers and, being a global company, toward other ethnicities, cultures, and so on.) So, a thank you to IBM for running what I consider to be a world-class organization.

But on to bigger and better things! I’ve got three books coming out in the next six months, a fact that’s already filling my days to the brim. Next month is the release of OF SAND AND MALICE MADE, my new SHATTERED SANDS novel. November 1st is the release of THE BURNING LIGHT, the green apocalypse story I co-wrote with Rob Ziegler. And in February of 2017, WITH BLOOD UPON THE SAND hits the shelves, Book Two of THE SONG OF THE SHATTERED SANDS. Not to mention the French, German, and Dutch releases of the SHATTERED SANDS books!

I’m looking forward to the new challenges I’m setting for myself as I head into full-time writing. I have a few little projects I’m working on behind the scenes as well, which I’ll unveil over the course of the next month or two. In the meantime, if you want to keep up with me and my writing, sign up for my new newsletter: http://eepurl.com/b-MSpv

And if you’d like to support me, you can do so by trying one of my books, writing a review, or checking out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/bradbeaulieu

Thanks for all your support, everyone. I’ve felt all the love and help and encouraging words along the way, and it means a lot to me.

1. Isaac Payne

August 18, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Looking forward to the next six months! :)

August 19, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Cheers, Isaac!

2. Anwin

August 19, 2016 at 6:25 am

Good luck! I used to work with IBM too and I agree with you about the work culture.

And I am just about to venture into your world through the Lays of Anuskaya series.

August 19, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Thanks, Anwin. It’s scary being without a job, but I’m looking forward to the challenge of becoming a full-time writer.

3. Peter Schravendeel

August 21, 2016 at 4:09 am

My hunch is, it will all turn out very, very well and on one day you can’t even imagine yourself working for a big corporate ever again. :)

4. Todd

October 4, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Wow my last day at IBM was July 30.. Just two weeks before you. Lost the account to an offshore company..
    Anyway, been reading Twelve Kings and am enjoying it very much. Sharakhai reminds me so much of the desert city in Final Fantasy XIV it is silly. Makes visualizing while reading very easy.
    Is there any sort of page (non spoliery) listing characters with a short blurb about each?

October 5, 2016 at 8:32 am

Hi Todd. Condolences on the job loss. I feel your pain! Literally!

And thanks for the kind words. I don’t have any listing of characters, I’m afraid. It’s probably something I should add to my to-do list.

• Todd

October 14, 2016 at 11:57 am

I have a question about Sharakha. It appears to be an landlocked city in the desert with a river through it. I get that, but how do the four harbors work?
        All of the ships mentioned, do they travel on the sand and then dock in dry harbors for unloading goods? How are they powered? Surely not horses?

October 24, 2016 at 8:12 am

Hey Todd.

The ships are powered by wind. They have runners with a magical wood that allows them to skim over the surface of the sand with very little friction. The sails do the rest. Nearer to dock, they pull in sails and are typically towed into dock by mule trains. Smaller ships can even be pushed by the crew to and out from dock.

• Todd

October 24, 2016 at 9:10 am

Okay. Magic wood. That makes sense. As someone who has tried dragging a 30-pound cooler over sand at the beach,I can see how magic wood would do the trick. Thanks very much for answering!

5. Peter

October 24, 2016 at 9:40 am

Hi Brad,

Just finished the 12 Kings with great fun reading it!
    And a question popped up: When Ceda vanquishes one of the Kings at the end of the book and the other 3 Blade Maidens rush in, she is deemed saviour instead of his killer. However, wouldn’t her bloodied sword have given her away?? The dead Blade Maiden in the same room did not draw that much of Ceda’s blood with her own sword ….

Looking 4ward to your ideas on this :)

Kind Regards,