A Slight Change of Plans

So here’s a bit of news.

My time with Night Shade Books has largely come to an end.

There are a number of reasons for this. I’m not going to go into all of them. But I think it’s no secret that Night Shade has been having money trouble. There are a lot of reasons for that as well—Borders closing, the continued squeeze on the buying public’s disposable income, their change in distributor—but I don’t really care to dive into that. The fact of the matter was that there were money issues, and that was one of the driving factors behind this decision.

There were also scheduling issues. Night Shade Books is going through a contraction, taking their contracted books and spreading them over the course of a longer period. Basically this means that they’re going from about three books a month to two. What that also means is that some books won’t come out at the same time as originally planned. Mine was one of those. We were looking at a year or more delay on The Flames of Shadam Khoreh, which was frustrating because (a) I didn’t hear that news until only recently and (b) the book is ready now. Finding readers is hard enough without having a two-year gap between books, so this was obviously not an ideal situation.

We talked about some possibilities to resolve the situation, to try to recapture the market for these books. We talked about a print-on-demand version this year, followed by a more traditional release later, and we hashed over the money issues a bit and tried to find some common ground. In the end, though, I felt it was better if we parted ways. Night Shade gave these books a life, and I’m thankful for that, but the truth is I’ll be able to put a lot more effort into the release of the third book than they will right now. Let me be clear about this, though. There’s no bad blood between us. They’ll continue to sell the trade versions of  The Winds of Khalakovo and The Straits of Galahesh, while I’ll release The Flames of Shadam Khoreh and also re-release the e-versions of Books 1 and 2.

I’m excited about taking the reins. I’m excited about taking this directly to readers. I’m excited about rebranding the series. I have a ton of plans for the release, including a Kickstarter for the third book.

What I’m most excited about, though, is how the trilogy finished. It turned out really well. I’m so pleased with it. If you enjoyed WINDS and STRAITS, you’re going to love FLAMES.

I’ll have more news soon, including a post where I reveal the new cover design for all three books.

Until then, thanks everyone, for all your support.

1. Rabia

February 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Jo Anderton sent me a link to this post.

I’m sorry that your time with your publisher had to end like this, but you have a really positive and enthusiastic outlook on the next step of your writing journey. Good luck to you!

February 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Thanks so much, Rabia. I don’t tend to spend a lot of mental effort on negative things. And I’m really excited about the possibilities! There’s something to be said for being in control of your own fate.

• Rabia

February 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm

If you ever manage to bottle the ability to not dwell on negative things, I’d be happy to buy a case or two off you. *wry smile*

I’ve self-published a few things over the past year and it is a lot of fun (nerve-wrecking at times, but mostly fun!).

2. Joel

February 19, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Do you know what this might mean for the audiobook of book 3? Will Audible deal directly with you or have they already purchased the rights?

February 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm

That’s one of the wrinkles we’re working through. Audible bought all three books last summer, so that should still be on track, but those rights still need to be transferred. I’m hoping audio will be released about the same time, but I have no control over it.

• Joel

February 19, 2013 at 9:07 pm

That’s good news. Thanks for the reply.

3. Abhinav Jain (@abhinavjain87)

February 19, 2013 at 9:14 pm

This is sad news, Brad. Doubly so in that NSB hasn’t been able to iron out its problems, and that things still look grim for them.

All the same, best of luck to you with self-publishing. If you need anything from me, just holler!

February 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks, Abhinav. And will do!

4. Blair MacG

February 19, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Sorry to hear about the bumps in the road, but I have no doubt you’ll move forward with both style and professionalism.

And I’m very much looking forward to FLAMES!

February 19, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Thanks very much, Blair. That’s very heartening to hear!

5. Betsy Dornbusch

February 21, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Good luck!! You’re the perfect person for this; totally motivated and great books. I hope it all goes swimmingly for you!

February 21, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Thanks, Betsy. Just today I registered the ISBNs for my new titles. Pretty liberating, actually!

6. Shaun Brammer

February 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I hear traditional publishing is on the way out anyway. Blaze a new trail for yourself and you’ll do it for others as well. Good Luck!!

February 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Thanks, Shaun. I think the hybrid author is here to stay.

7. Paul Weimer (@princejvstin)

February 22, 2013 at 9:30 am

Ack, my RSS feed didn’t show me this post.

The publishing industry world is as storms as the seas around Khalakovo. So, why not try sailing into the air instead of just remaining in the waters.

I wish you the best of luck and success with the hybrid model and am eager to read the third book.

February 22, 2013 at 10:03 am

Thanks, Paul. Third book is headed your way very soon now.

8. Michael J. Sullivan

February 22, 2013 at 9:50 am

“Hybrid” is the way to go…I applaud Brad on this move – and predict it will be very good for his career.

February 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thanks much, Michael. Here’s hoping!

9. Steve Hick

February 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Brad, how does this impact publication date?

Otherwise congratulations for being picked up by a more solvent publisher.

Steve

February 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Thanks, Steve. More info soon, but the basic timeline is: a Kickstarter in March/April for a book release in May. Exact dates still TBD, but I’ll announce here as soon as those firm up.

10. Mel

March 9, 2013 at 9:59 am

Oh, wonderful! I’ve heard great things about your books and have been waiting to dive in until the third book was announced. Just bought the first two.

March 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm

That’s awesome, Melissa. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the tale!

11. Kary English

March 29, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Hi, Brad,

These books have been on my wishlist for years. I almost bought a Kindle version today, but I’d rather wait until all three ebooks are in your hands so I can feel confident that the proceeds from my purchase will go directly to you.

Please make a big announcement when that happens. :)

Cheers,

Kary

12. Pingback: A Recap of My Projects Since Finishing My Last Novel | Bradley P. Beaulieu

13. Pingback: Black Gate » Blog Archive » How to Run a Successful Kickstarter – Bradley P. Beaulieu – Part I

14. Pingback: How to Run a Successful Kickstarter – Bradley P. Beaulieu – Part I | BookSworn

15. Pingback: Black Gate » Blog Archive » How to Run a Successful Kickstarter – Bradley P. Beaulieu – Part II

16. Pingback: How to Run a Successful Kickstarter – Bradley P. Beaulieu – Part II | BookSworn

17. Pingback: These are about to become collectors items – Bradley P. Beaulieu