Impressed by Proszynski’s Wichry Archipelagu!

So, way back early last year, I mentioned that Winds had been sold to Proszynski Media in Poland. It came out this past September, but I never did receive my author copies. It turned out to be a snafu, and the publisher made sure I got my copies straight away. I finally had a chance to take some pictures so I could share just how cool this edition is.

The cover is similar to the US version, but there are some very cool notable differences. The most obvious is that there’s more embellishment of the cover art. It has a cool decking and rope theme that I think is really neat and enhances the ship-based flavor of the book.

(Click to embiggen any of these pics.)

Also, check this out. There’s a really cool, gloss overlay on the book that gives the feel of wind flowing over the scene. You can’t even notice if it you look at the book head-on, but you can tell it’s there if it catches any light. It’s a subtle but very cool effect, one that I’ve not seen done in the US.

The inside flap is well done, too. It isn’t just a single piece of cardstock for the cover. It’s folded over so that the interior has more of a hardback feel to it. Also, check out the super-cool cut-out of that great Adam Paquette windship.

They also didn’t skimp on the chapter headings. They used the same windshop cut-out for those as well. The interior has a very non-cramped feel, which I love. That choice added to the final page count, but I think it was the right choice, as it has a very nice look to it as you hold the book. It’s aesthetically pleasing and has a professional feel to it.

Lastly, here’s the rear cover and spine, which has more of the planking feel and the rope & knot embellishments.

All in all, this is a very impressive package. Proszynski really went all out, and I’m proud that they gave so much attention to Wichry Archipelagu. It’s certainly a vote of confidence when a publisher does that for you.

In short, Poland rocks!

1. kim b

January 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Love the extra touches this book has. I have to agree with every point you made. You are very deservingly proud. And your Sis is proud of you too.
    Love you , Kim

January 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Thanks, Kim! Yeah, I’m really proud of this, and happy that the publisher liked the book enough to go the extra mile.

2. Maciej Wycislik - Eisen

January 6, 2012 at 6:40 am

Impressive book Mr. Bradley:). I live in Poland so I can say the Proszynski made great work with Polish edition. Marek Pawelec translation looks great (First I read The Winds of Khalakovo in English and I can compare). Now must wait to April for The Straits of Galahesh hope no delay:). In publishing case is time for some collector edition from Subterranean Press for example, they do amazing job (maybe too pricey:). Hope you come to Poland for some convention like POLCON and we can talk personally. Best wishes:)

January 6, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thanks so much, Maciej! I’m so glad you liked the book, and thanks for the feedback on the translation. I was wondering if there were people out there that had read it in both English and Polish. I’d love to come to Poland some day. Hopefully it will work out. I’ll definitely post about it here on my website and Twitter and Facebook if I’m going to go.

Cheers.

• Maciej Wycislik - Eisen

January 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’m glad too. In case of translation Marek Pawelec have no too easy task:). The language you use is little more challenging (than in standard fantasy novel these days) and personally I like it. Keep it this way. I was born in early 70′ and in this time in Poland it means we were under communist regime. In 80′ Russian language in school was mandatory. So for me you have creative approach to Russian language:). In interesting (positive) way. In Poland we got (usually) ambivalent attitude to Russia. Our history is bumpy. But seriously your book is “dusze szczipatielnyj” (literally – soul pinching – schchepatyelny – (phonetically) I think:) in meaning deeply catching and soul keeping way.

Cheers
        Mike

January 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

That’s an interesting phrase. Soul pinching. And I think it’s pretty close to the state of mind I try to put myself in when writing. Thanks for sharing that.