The Winds of Khalakovo has a home!

Out of necessity, I've been sitting on this news for a while, but now I can finally let the cat out of the bag.

I've sold a book! Check that. I've sold three books. A trilogy, even… The Winds of Khalakovo, The Straits of Galahesh, and a third book yet to be titled (and written, for that matter). I'm proud and excited to be with Night Shade Books, who are well known for publishing high quality fiction in a number of speculative fiction genres. Night Shade are a passionate group, and they have a beautiful sense of style when it comes to the artwork and layout for their books, which, as strange as it sounds, is a major key to attracting an audience, especially for a budding writer.

The first book is set to come out spring or summer of next year. Fast, I know! We've only just signed the contracts, so I know there's a roller coaster ride ahead of me. Right now I'm going through that early, chug-chug stage as the car heads for that first big drop…

I'll be posting more about the whole process and my thoughts on it, but for now, I'll close with this one simple thought: I've sold a book! Check that. Since it's a trilogy, I'll close with three thoughts: I've sold a book! I've sold a book! I've sold a book!

1. Aliette de Bodard

August 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Oooh, awesome!!! Mega congrats,and looking forward to them!

August 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Thanks, Aliette! Looking forward to getting them out there!

2. Mary Robinette Kowal

August 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Hurrah! That is such wonderful news and I'm so happy for you!

August 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Thanks so much, Mary!

3. Rae Carson

August 3, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Woooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!

4. Shveta Thakrar

August 3, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Yay, I can finally scream publicly!  HOORRRAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!  *grabs Brad's hands and dances*

5. Kelly Swails

August 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I am so happy for you! You're a hell of a writer and you've worked so hard for this. Congratulations!

August 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Thanks, Rae and Shveta and Kelly! I can feel the love…

6. Jenn Reese

August 3, 2010 at 10:39 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! Congratulations!

August 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Thanks, Jenn!

7. Steve Gaskell

August 4, 2010 at 4:04 am

I'm really happy for you, Brad. Spiffing news!

8. Robert Levy

August 4, 2010 at 7:20 am

W00T!!!!!!!! So exciting, Brad!!! Congratulations!!! Now get back to work :)

August 4, 2010 at 7:31 am

Thanks, Clarion peeps!

9. Bob

June 25, 2011 at 9:36 am

Just wanted to say that I am currently reading The Winds of Khalakovo and am enjoying it.  The description has Nasim being autistic.  If this was your intent, thank you.  My son is autistic and nonverbal, but is extremely  perceptive, which many people don't get.  We know he sees and knows much more than we can tell, and it is very much like he straddles two worlds.  There does seem to be a bond he forms with particular people.  Thank you

June 26, 2011 at 8:51 am

Hi, Bob. Thanks so much for the kind words. These are the kind of notes that authors love to receive, where our work somehow speaks to a reader. I’m touched that it has, and I’m grateful you took the time to write this note. (And yes, I meant Nasim to be an autistic savant.) Thanks so much!

• Bob

June 26, 2011 at 9:17 am

thanks for your response.  I am greatly looking forward to the rest of the trilogy (hoping nischka has a happy ending) i 've written some myself, but have trouble not sounding trite, contrived, and original.  Maybe someday … Thanks again for having an autistic savant as your hero.

10. david whitman

July 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Finished “Winds” last week. I thought it was really good and left me wanting more. The writing is beautiful, the characters well developd and the story was entertaining. At the end, it seemed clear there was a door wide open for a sequel. I went on-line to see if there was more in store and was very happy to see this is a trilogy! Great job and thank you!

July 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Hi, David. Thanks so much for taking the time to write me this note. I really appreciate it, and I’m so glad you enjoyed Winds. I also can’t wait to get Straits out. It’s going through revisions now, and will be hitting the shelves April of next year.